Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Scent and Mood: Science offers proof that certain smells make us happy!

As if we didn't know...! Telling a perfume-lover that scent affects our mood is like telling a meteorologist that air pressure affects the weather! However, it is always gratifying when science supports our addiction, and this recent study by Quest International can only be seen as a check in the "plus" column for those who adore perfume. The study made an interesting distinction between scent associations and nationality. For instance, Americans associate the smell of red berries and tropical and orchard fruit with a sense of well-being and happiness. Meanwhile, the French associate the sweet, powdery, floral and musky woody smells with a happy feeling. For more, please go to: Scent and Mood.

This brings to mind the idea of "perfume therapy," a term I just coined to indicate the strategic use of scent for mood enhancement. I know that for myself, when I am feeling a bit low, there is nothing like a spritz of Jo Malone Orange Blossom Cologne to immediately lift my spirits.

Do others have particular scents that are guaranteed mood-elevators for them?

4 comments:

christine said...

Welcome to this happy place!

Anonymous said...

Orange blossom was one of my favorites when I was a little girl. You're right, there is something aromatically pleasing about it. Now, HOW did I know your blog would be PINK?

Anonymous said...

I forgot to put my name on the comment!

~Eyesofsunshine

christine said...

Welcome, eyesofsunshine!