Thursday, November 30, 2006

Art Deco and Molinard Perfume Bottles


I'll admit it: I have a weakness for all things Art Deco. When I am visiting New York and turn a corner and catch a glimpse of the exquisite Chrysler Building, it invariably takes my breath away. There is just something about the art and architecture and general ambience of that era which I really resonate with.

So imagine my delight in coming upon the Molinard Collection of perfumes on a recent visit to the Perfume House. The Molinard 1849 collection of seven luxurious Eau de Parfums is based on Molinard's original recipes dating back to the 1920's, 30's and 50's. The exquisite collection features each of the seven fragrances in gorgeous art-deco styled bottles, complete with puff-ball atomiser!

image source: Perfume House

The collection includes
  • Habanita, a floral-oriental created in 1921 featuring petigrain, vetiver, ylang-ylang, heliotrope, amber, vanilla, musk, patchouli, and sandalwood

  • Gardenia, a floral with notes of freesia, orange flower, gardenia, jasmine, cyclamen, and musk
  • Iles D'Or, a fruity floral scent with freesia, jasmine, amber, sandalwood, cedarwood, vanilla and musk

  • M de Molinard, a floral green scent opening with bergamot, rose and narcissus on a base of amber, patchouli, incense and vetiver

  • Verveine, a fresh green natural scent with notes of bergamot, verveine leaves, mandarin, jasmine, osmanthus, vetiver, musk and amber

  • Un Air de Molinard, a citrusy fragrance of mandarin, grapefruit, jasmin, rose, blue iris, vanilla, vetiver, musk and amber

  • Nirmala, a fruity floral with mandarin, grapefruit, jasmine, fleurs-des-iles, vanilla, tonka, and sandalwood


image source: Aedes


The House of Molinard was established in Grasse, France, in 1849. A wonderful history of this House can be found at the Molinard website. It is here that we learn, for instance, that during the Second World War, Molinard invented "the Prisoner's parcel" to bring comfort to French prisoners. How great is that!?! I know that if I were in prison, a care package of perfumes would be so very appreciated!

The fragrances are available in the beautiful bottles 3.3 oz. bottles ($185, except for Habinata, which is $295) as well as in portable concrete solid perfume compacts (great for air travel!) for $65. They can be purchased at The Perfume House and aedes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Chrysler Building is one of my favorites as well. Decorative, layered, elegant. I think I must have lived in that era in a previous lifetime because I am drawn to stuctures from the 1920's. My first home in Indiana was built in 1925, hardwoods, arched doorways, high ceilings, old world charm. Now my condo in Seattle has many of the same old world charm features including cove ceilings and radiator heat. It is said that scents are most closely tied to emotions and memory. I belive I told you about my grandma's mixer. Well,one day last week I took out my grandma's electric mixer used it and sniffed the motor...it felt like grandma was in the room with me. FYI she was born in 1917. I've never been inside the Chrysler Building, but I think I'd like to have a look... and a sniff.

christine said...

Hi, eyesofsunshine!

You are right -- scents are very closely linked to emotions and memory. Thank you for sharing that touching story about your grandmother's mixer. I found it very moving.

Christine

Anonymous said...

Your blog is very much good. I am very much impressed by your blog content, i also come across number of sites for the perfumes for the cheap colognes and discount perfumes, you can also check these are also very much useful for everyone.
http://www.overstockperfume.com/